On 06/07/2021 10:01, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 10:41 AM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

On 05/07/2021 20:19, André van der Lugt wrote:

Mark, thank you for your efforts so far.

No problem. Happy to help.

At this point it is hard to tell where the root cause is. It is possible
that the Tomcat changes introduced a bug in Tomcat. It is also possible
that the Tomcat changes triggered a set of circumstances that exposed a
pre-existing bug elsewhere (Java, OS, network).

I can revert the changes again and we can figure out what's wrong in
10.x eventually.

I'm not sure there is anything wrong in Tomcat at this point.

- No-one else has reported the issue (yet).
- The issue doesn't occur with a direct connection to Tomcat.
- The network trace shows a lot of packet re-ordering which must be
  happening somewhere in the network - which makes me wonder what else
  the network is doing.

At this point I think we need more information before making a decision.

Mark

Rémy

As the next step, I'd suggest collecting a network trace from the Tomcat
VM at the same you collect a trace from the client. The aim of this
would be to determine if Tomcat / Java / OS/ VM is delaying those final
packets or if the delay is occurring somewhere in the network. By
comparing the two traces you should be able to narrow down where the
delay is happening.

Mark

Other questions that come to mind:

1. Was the network trace created from a client connected directly to
Tomcat or was there a proxy / firewall / something else between the
client and Tomcat?

Tomcat is running on the company network to which I'm connected
through company mandated VPN and who knows what else
equipment there is between me and Tomcat's VM.

Your question made me think: what if I try from a browser installed
on another VM on the company network? So I did from two different
machines and bingo ... the problem does not manifest itself.
Maybe I need to have a word with our IT....?

2. Where was the trace collected from? On the client? On the server?
Somewhere else?

Trace was collected on the client.