Neil,

I'm not actually trying to have the class loaded. I want it to return
"null" in the EL evaluation as though the attribute is missing.

The "problem" is that I'm seeing a different behaviour in one environment
than another, and it's proving difficult to track down why.

I'm still working on the class path analysis as suggested by Rob S, even
though the class in question should be in the class path in both cases.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Robert