-------- Original message --------From: Simon Matter <simon.mat...@invoca.ch>
Date: 20/02/2022  18:15  (GMT+00:00) To: Tomcat Users List
<users@tomcat.apache.org> Subject: Re:  is too quick to respond > Not sure
about Tomcat, but what IBM Liberty does is:>> It "will" try to redeploy the war
when it detects a file change - and it> does fail naturally since the war isn't
complete.>> BUT - it will keep trying since during the upload, the timestamp
and file> size automatically keeps changing - so at the end, it will succeed
in> deploying the whole war file.I may be wrong but I thought .war files are
zip files. Wouldn't it bepossible to just wait until the file has a consistent
content and thenextract it?Simon>> I wish they would have just monitored the
file size for a configurable> "given" time.  And lets say - if the file size or
timestamp doesn't change> for -say - 15 seconds, then go ahead and do the
deployment, but as what> was mentioned earlier, different OS(s) may handle this
differently, but> the JAVA NIO API watchevents point you in the right direction
in watching> a file/folder in a loop for a "create" or "modify" or "delete"
event to> occur and fire off.>>    thanks,>       jason>> ----- Original
Message -----> From: "chris" <ch...@christopherschultz.net>> To: "users"
<users@tomcat.apache.org>> Sent: Sunday, February 20, 2022 9:22:17 AM> Subject:
Re: <Context … reloadable = "true"> is too quick to respond>> John,>> On
2/20/22 05:50, John Barrow wrote:>> Neil,>>>> Thanks for your useful feedback.
I am still feeling my way as you can>> probably see from my earlier emails
trying to setup a development>> environment.>>>> I did actually think of this
but didn't put it in scope for a couple of>> reasons.>>>> Firstly, the Tomcat
documentation for readloadable quotes>>>> "Set to true if you want Catalina to
monitor classes in>> /WEB-INF/classes/ and /WEB-INF/lib for changes, and
automatically>> reload the web application if a change is detected. This
feature is>> very useful during application development, but it requires>>
significant runtime overhead and is not recommended for use on>> deployed
production applications. That's why the default setting for>> this attribute is
false. You can use the Manager web application,>> however, to trigger reloads
of deployed applications on demand.">>>> Therefore, I took it to mean that this
flag was geared at development,>> not production which is what I assume when
you would deploy a .war>> file. So Tomcat would be listening to specific
changes in .classes and>> .jar files that had just been compiled and these are
normally small in>> size. But then I suppose that a single .jar file may be so
sized that>> Tomcat could react while the file was still being written to the
disk.>> The patch you are currently working on should fix this aspect of the>
overall problem you are trying to solve.>>> Secondly, I sort of assumed that
since the feature was already in>> place and handles changes to single files
that this check for>> completeness has already been implemented, but then as I
can't get a>> development environment to run, I don't have enough skills to
drill>> into the sources without it being interactive to help me explore and>>
learn.>>>> However, it makes sense that your recommendation is implemented,>>
although I was imagining setting the delay to (say) 500ms to ensure>> that
whatever IDE had time to complete the copying of all the files as>> that is a
small price to pay for automatic refresh. Also by resetting>> the timer after
each event it would have to be quite a large upload>> for Tomcat to start
reacting.>>>> Like you, I am not sure how to formally check that a file has>>
completed its copy to the destination. The most common suggestion I>> hear is
to try and change its name and then change it back again and>> capture the
exception which will be raised if the file is locked. I>> wonder whether
attempting to set an attribute (e.g.toggle read-only)>> would have the same
effect (i.e. only allow if file wasn't locked) and>> be a little more elegant.
I would have to try it.>> Don't do anything like that; it won't work on various
environments. For> example, Windows obtains exclusive file-locks for even
sometimes> read-only operations. But *NIX does /not/. So you may develop
something> that works on Windows but doesn't work at all anywhere else.>> You
basically can't check to see if a file is "done uploading"" or> whatever else
may be happening. What you *can* do is check to see if any> file in the
list-of-files-to-be it *too recent* indicating that a>
compile/copy/upload/whatever may still be in progress.>>> I assume that Windows
has a way of querying a file lock but not sure>> (a) whether that is exposed
via a Java API and (b) whether that would>> apply to Unix as well (as I have
only ever used Windows for>> development).>>>>> How does Tomcat test if a file
has been updated?>> It's just relative timestamps. Dive into the code Mark
suggested and> you'll find it.>>> Again, I don't know this yet (lack of IDE
again), but I assumed that>> it would be similar to the method I implemented in
the attached source>> code, i.e. Create a listener for events being triggered
on file>> changes to either /WEB-INF/classes/ and /WEB-INF/lib, as they are
both>> hard-coded file paths.>> I don't think your attachment made it to the
list. Maybe you can host it> somewhere else and then post a URL to the list?
Attachments tend to be> stripped. I'm actually surprised your ZIP file made it
through.>>> As an aside, I should have mentioned, for anyone interested in
this>> thread and in case not obvious from the source, but to see the sample>>
source code in action, you need to add, modify, rename or delete files>> within
the specified directory in a File Explorer.>> -chris>>> On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 at
00:04, Neil Aggarwal <n...@propfinancing.com>>> wrote:>>>>>> John:>>>>>>> If
anyone has a moment, can you have a quick look and see if what I am>>>>
proposing seems acceptable.>>>>>> Thinking about when a large file (Such as a
war file) is being uploaded>>> to the server, we don't want Tomcat to reload it
until after the file>>> has>>> completed upload and is fully formed.>>>>>> How
does Tomcat test if a file has been updated?>>> I assume it uses
File.lastModified() or something similar.>>>>>> Does anyone know the detailed
nuts and bolts of how that works?>>> Does last modified keep changing as the
file is uploading or is it just>>> changed at the start of the upload?  Is the
behavior the same or>>> different>>> across platforms?>>>>>> These questions
should be taken into account when designing the>>> solution.>>>>>> Thank
you,>>>    Neil>>>>>> -->>> Neil Aggarwal, (972) 834-1565,
http://www.propfinancing.com>>> We offer 30 year loans on single family
houses!>>>>>>