Hello, I don't know if this is interesting, but while I started Tomcat in IDEA
debugger, when I had breakpoint set to NullPointerException (so that it breaks
on all of them),
then it break here:

org\apache\tomcat\tomcat-util\8.5.75\tomcat-util-8.5.75.jar!\org\apache\tomcat\util\IntrospectionUtils.class

public static String replaceProperties(String value, Hashtable<Object, Object>
staticProp, IntrospectionUtils.PropertySource[] dynamicProp, ClassLoader
classLoader) {
    if (value.indexOf(36) < 0) {

"value" is null.

A bit more up in stack trace, it is here:

org\apache\tomcat\tomcat-util-scan\8.5.75\tomcat-util-scan-8.5.75.jar!\org\apache\tomcat\util\digester\Digester.class

public InputSource resolveEntity(String name, String publicId, String baseURI,
String systemId) throws SAXException, IOException {
    name = this.replace(name);

"name" is null.

One more up:

java.xml\com\sun\org\apache\xerces\internal\util\EntityResolver2Wrapper.java

String name = null;
if (resourceIdentifier instanceof XMLDTDDescription) {
    name = "[dtd]";
}
else if (resourceIdentifier instanceof XMLEntityDescription) {
    name = ((XMLEntityDescription) resourceIdentifier).getEntityName();
}

// When both pubId and sysId are null, the user's entity resolver
// can do nothing about it. We'd better not bother calling it.
// This happens when the resourceIdentifier is a GrammarDescription,
// which describes a schema grammar of some namespace, but without
// any schema location hint. -Sg
if (pubId == null && sysId == null) {
    return null;
}

// Resolve using EntityResolver2
try {
    InputSource inputSource =
        fEntityResolver.resolveEntity(name, pubId, baseURI, sysId);

"name" is null.

It was parsing this:

jar:file:/C:/Tomcat/tomcat_home/lib/catalina.jar!/org/apache/catalina/mbeans/mbeans-descriptors.xml

So the problem seems to happen in org.apache.xerces XML parser, or in Tomcat.

-Harri