I've obtained some heap and CPU numbers, taking data at 15 minute intervals, heap from WRKJVMJOB and CPU from WRKACTJOB. In two days of this, I didn't witness any crashes; I did witness a near-miss, in which heap-in-use hit 5011.938M (out of 5120).

In discussion with our webapp developer (to whom we sent a catalina.out excerpt), he observed that they were running Tomcat on a six-year-old JVM (it identifies in a WRKJVMJOB as "1.8.0_151"; on the Manager page, it identifies as "8.0.5.5 - pap6480sr5fp5-20171114_01(SR5 FP5)") with a known issue (on Github, it's listed as 11493). He suggested that the customer ought to try updating to a more recent Java.

I've also asked on the IBM Midrange Java List whether we can go any higher on the heap parameters (currently set at -Xms 4096 -Xmx 5120 for that particular installation).

--
JHHL