It would be unusual for the OS to reclaim any of that memory from the JVM process. Are you looking at OS heap usage, or "JVM heap" usage? From your description above, it's tough to tell. The tool is called WRKJVMJOB so presumably it knows what the heck a JVM is, so maybe you were getting the exact numbers I was recommending.

TL;DR: I have seen Java return memory to the OS.

I was frankly a little shocked myself when I first saw it yesterday. I was always taught that Java heap, once allocated, remained allocated.

But there are a lot of things extraordinary about IBM Midrange boxes.

--
JHHL