> On May 18, 2024, at 22:40, DdC <atlantisic...@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Gave up on installing 9.0.88. on Win10.

Some of us have just given up on Windows entirely…

> Succeeded with  10.1.23 andjdk-18.0.2.1.The lib directory has j2ee.jar, which
> I have used in earliertomcat versions.

Not lately. I can’t recall when j2ee.jar was last useful, but I’m pretty sure
it’s been well over a decade. You most likely need to delete it.

> Compilation of a system was OK apart from some warnings because Java
> haschanged since the code was written.There is a web.xml file in
> WEB-INF.Invoking a servlet gives a 500 error with the ominous complaint:
> class su.SUlogin cannot be cast to jakarta.servlet.Servlet    (su.SUlogin is
> in unnamed module of loader org.apache.catalina    ... )

First, look at the Tomcat migration guides:
https://tomcat.apache.org/migration.html

You’ll need to review each one, starting with the last version of Tomcat you
were using, up to the one for 10.1. In particular, when Oracle gave control of
the Java EE spec to Eclipse, the classes were renamed from javax to jakarta for
legal reasons, so all code using the old class names must be updated to the
revised ones. This can be done with a migration tool supplied by Tomcat:

https://tomcat.apache.org/download-migration.cgi

or by placing old apps in the webapps-javaee directory rather than webapps and
letting Tomcat convert them automatically. Look at the documentation for the
legacyAppBase attribute of the <Host> element:

https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-10.1-doc/config/host.html#Common_Attributes

  - Chuck