And the winner is: Chuck šŸ˜‰

I tried Chrome (instead of the Corporate mandated browser Edge) and I was right
away challenged for credentials.

Thanks for all those who responded.

From: Chuck Caldarale <n82...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2024 4:36 PM
To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Subject: {EXTERNAL} Re: Tomcat Console - 401 Unauthorized

> On May 22, 2024, at 13:ā€Š31, Garber, Frank <Francis.ā€ŠGarber@ā€Šelevancehealth.ā€Š
> com.ā€ŠINVALID> wrote: > > Not knowing how itā€™s supposed to behave, hereā€™s
> another clue. When I click on the ā€œServer Statusā€ button, I never get prompted

> On May 22, 2024, at 13:31, Garber, Frank
> <francis.gar...@elevancehealth.com.INVALID<mailto:francis.gar...@elevancehealth.com.INVALID>>
>  wrote:

> Not knowing how itā€™s supposed to behave, hereā€™s another clue. When I click on
> the ā€œServer Statusā€ button, I never get prompted for credentials.

This sounds like a browser configuration problem. On the first attempt to
access a protected resource, the server will return a 401 status with a
WWW-Authenticate header listing the acceptable authentication mechanisms; for
Tomcat, "Basic" is the default. The browser is then supposed to take the
specified action to determine the credentials - for Basic, thatā€™s the typical
dialog box prompt.

If youā€™re using Edge (my condolences if so), go to edge://policy and look at
the AuthSchemes entry; if it doesnā€™t include ā€œbasicā€, youā€™ll never get the
prompt.

Can you correct the Edge config or try a different browser?

  - Chuck

and privileged information or may otherwise be protected by law. Any
are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail
and destroy all copies of the original message and any attachment thereto.