Thanks all for the replies.

Remy summarized exactly what I meant. Currently I am using a single webapp
that uses servlet filter to forward request of different domains to the
correct path of the filesystem.

My initial post is ponder on the idea of using the "virtual host" mechanism
in Tomcat to attack the said problem instead of using servlet filter (which
is what I am using now). I thought this would be a cleaner solutions.

However, from the replies, I guess IT IS a stupid question :) Using servlet
filter is probably the better way. But I have to deal with all the mess of
filtering, as I am using Tapestry, and servlet filter is outside the
Tapestry system. (Maybe putting the filtering system inside Tapestry would
be good).

Finally, I dont have enough knowledge of Apache HTTPD to do the said
comparison, and have no plan of doing that. But if I collect any useful
Tomcat related metrics of the system I am buidling, I will share it here.

Thanks again.

On 8/27/06, Pid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Remy Maucherat wrote:
> On 8/26/06, Andrew Miehs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> ?! Now I am confused ?!
>>
>> 10,000 connections and 10,000 virtual hosts have NOTHING to do with
>> one another.
>>
>> As to 10,000 virtual hosts in Tomcat, vs 10,000 virtual hosts in
>> Apache....
>>
>> No idea - I don't think 10,000 virtual hosts on either is a good idea.
>> But with Tomcat, you have 10,000 'WebApps' ie: at least 10,000
>> objects, ignoring what ever else the webapp initialises, vs a look up
>> table (probably a hash) in Apache.
>>
>> I don't think it is a very scalable solution.
>>
>> According to the original poster, all 10,000 webapps, are the same,
>> so I would look at only having 1 web app, and dealing with the
>> 'virtual hosting' inside my webapp.
>
> That could be a good move. A JSP like the index.jsp which is in Tomcat
> could do that, and is at least as fast as a static page.
>
> Note: If APR is installed, Tomcat uses epoll if available too, so it
> can support 1000s of connections easily (on Linux).
>
> Rémy

I think the OP said that their current solution *does* use a single
webapp & a filter to select the correct part of the filing system.

Without wanting to get into an ideological httpd vs tomcat, I'd suggest
that the if the OP wishes to conduct tests, that he familiarises himself
with the sendfile & mmap directives, and mod_vhost_alias module of
Apache HTTP.

The combination is likely to provide the best solution that HTTPD alone
can offer.

With regard to Tomcat, as a standalone, it will not compete with HTTPD
unless APR is correctly installed.

Overall, if the OP is serving static pages, then the likely best fit is
to use a Tomcat webapp (available in all vhosts) to manage the sites,
write them out as static files and then serve them using a nicely tuned
Apache.