> From: DEMESY Nicolas [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> I have one context for a web portal with servlet pages and
> one context for an axis web server .

OK... you still need more information here, I'm afraid.  Axis is pretty
small and pretty quick, but the web services that are running in it
could be tiny or huge; you will need to profile those.  Portals range
from lightweight to horrible, and you don't say *which* portal.
However, the portlets that are running inside them - and the number of
those shown on a page, and the complexity of the portlet interaction -
will generally overwhelm the small overhead of the portal framework and
app server.

You will have to benchmark your application in your environment, with
your web services and your portlets - and your expected number of page
views per hour (of different pages if they are of differing complexity)
for your users.  We cannot even guess at any of those variables, and
they will make a difference that dwarfs the overhead of Tomcat.  This is
not something to ask a mailing list; if you need a realistic answer and
cannot get it yourself, you should engage a consultant who knows about
Tomcat to size your system for you.

                - Peter