Adding to that, you should try using a connection pool rather than direct JDBC connection, once you get familiar with the fundamentals. With connection pools the application performs better than not.

Santosh.

Frank W. Zammetti wrote:
Google is your friend... here's a quick hit:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v8/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.db2.udb.doc/ad/cjvjdbas.htm

...and another (although slightly older, still looks to be valid)...

http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~aps/syllabi/2004_2005/issws/h01/jdbc.html

...and yet another...

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/jdbc/basics/index.html

This last one might be the best, but all three should do the trick. There is no fundamental difference between using JDBC from a servlet vs. a straight Java app.

Frank

Steve R Burrus wrote:
Hi all. I am an admitted newbie when it comes to using a database connection for a servlet to access. So can someone please tell me the basics about how exactly I should go about doing this?? I have been very much "stumped" about how I should do this for quite a long time now! I just know that I should use 1 of 3 getConnection( ) methods to start to do this and create a Connection object but little else.