I've tried unsuccessfully to deploy my webapp as the default context for my
host using a context defined outside of the server.xml (individual files (with
a ".xml" extension) in the $CATALINA_HOME/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/
directory) as strongly recommended in
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/context.html*. I searched the
mailing list archives and found a thread on this subject that ended without any
resolution. There seems to be some conflict between different sections of the
context config documentation** that leads me to believe it's not possible to
specify a default virtual host's context with an empty string "path" attribute
for a context.  Is this true?  If not, please let me know what I'm missing.

Thanks,
Jon

* "Please note that for tomcat 5, unlike tomcat 4.x, it is NOT recommended
to place <Context> elements directly in the server.xml file. Instead,
put them in the META-INF/context.xml directory of your WAR file or the
conf directory as described above."

** "a Context that has an empty PATH attribute will become the default web
application for the virtual host."
and
"The value of this field [path] must not be set except when statically defining
a Context in server.xml, as it will be infered from the filenames used for
either the .xml context file or the docBase."