Good to hear that someone is using this.
I want to try this out in my environment with 8 instances of tomcat each with around 2,500 sessions per instance.
Does this sound feasible?
Also how do you monitor the cluster status?

Tim Lucia wrote:
As a case study, I have, in production, 4 Dell 2850 servers (running Red Hat
Enterprise V4.)  Apache httpd on one, using JK for load balancing.  The
other three are running Tomcat in a 3-way multicast cluster, multicasting
with replication on a private VLAN (192.168.x)  The application accesses
several DB servers running Oracle and MySQL, depending on the DB requested.

Over time, this handles 2 requests per second average, with peaks at about
5-6 requests per second (Per Tomcat, so times 3).  This does not begin to
tax the Tomcat servers for memory or CPU.  The bulk of the time is database
latency.  Our usage profile is extremely regular and predictable -- we
service school districts and they mainly use it from 8 to 3 (local time.)

This configuration has been very reliable and far-surpasses the system it
replaced - based on IIS and JRun.

HTH,
Tim