On 14.11.2006, at 22:44, Tim Lucia wrote:
Let me now ask my own question about this -- Lambda Probe is a great tool for inspecting your app's current state (and Tomcat's overall state.) Is it
possible to get, using /probe or any other app (including tomcat's own
manager) the current state of the connection pools in a machine- readable form (XML, one per line, CSV, etc.)? One that could easily be parsed with
perl for consumption by MRTG?  Lambda Probe's generated HTML isn't too
easily parsed, at least for my novice perl skills.

You might want to have a look at Tomcat's JMX Proxy Servlet (part of the manager webapp, IIRC):

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/manager-howto.html#What%20is% 20JMX%20Proxy%20Servlet

The JMX Proxy Servlet is a lightweight proxy to get and set the tomcat internals. (Or any class that has been exposed via an MBean) Its usage is not very user friendly but the UI is extremely help for integrating command line scripts for monitoring and changing the internals of tomcat.

If that's not enough, MX4J's HTTP adaptor serves XML, and lets you register custom XSLT stylesheets to transform the output. The default stylesheet transforms the XML to HTML.

Regards,
Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Lucia [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 4:29 PM
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: RE: session replication/tomcat 5.5

I forgot to mention that we peak at about 6000 sessions on the average day.
The all-time max for 2006 is 6810 sessions.

For monitoring, we do several things.

1) We use lambda probe
2) We use MRTG and some scripts to graph things that the manager will
readily disclose, like requests, threads, sessions, etc.
3) We use MRTG and some built-in application statistics for
application-specific statistics

At some point, I will probably use lamdaprobe to populate MRTG graphs of the
connection pools.  Right now we don't really monitor them per se

When you say "sessions per instance" keep in mind that sessions are shared across the cluster (or domain if so partitioned), otherwise it wouldn't be
fault-tolerant.

There is no pro-active alert if something is bad, other then the customers call the support line ;-) But we do have a large monitor in the engineering department visible to most of us with the vital MRTG graphs on display.

Tim