Hi Gregor,
First, thank you VERY much for taking the time to respond!

On 11/29/06, Gregor Schneider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
below is a Filter-Example which we've used to add an Expires-Header.
It adds the current month + one month, so that the content should be
cached in any way:

I'll compile this filter and try it out...then I'll see if I can customize it ;)

This is a snippedt from the web.xml (you'll have to add it into all
your servlets that should use this filter:
After compiling your Filter, just put it into the according
WEB-INF/lib-directory.

Alrighty...I'll apply it to the pertinent servlets in this fashion.  A
question on this: Is there a way to apply this, blanket-fashion, to
all servlets in one shot?

However, there's a pitfall:
Please also have a look at my post in this mailing-list "Hint: Tomcat,
Form-Login and HTTP 408-Error"

Now coming to your question about 3rd party-apps not being launched by
IE when running SSL (such as pdf's): There's a known bug of IE
described in the MS Knowledge-base (too lazy too look up the URL for
you), howver, there's a workaround:

Usually, we send the headers "Connection: Keep-Alive" and "Keep-Alive:
timeout=15,max=83

However, when it comes to third-party-components like PDF, we change
this via a rule in Apache: We send the header "Connection:close", and
it works perfectly.
Header unset Pragma

Before posting, I had been curious about whether mod_headers would
allow the Pragma and Cache-control headers to be overwritten/removed
using unset.  I found that I could append to headers using set, add new
headers but not remove the ones I wanted to.  I'll try all that you've
suggested here, but have this question as a result of those earlier trials:
Is this behaviour due to mod_headers only being able to unset headers
that originate from apache itself, and the Pragma: no-cache headers that
came from Tomcat would simply pass through (or be appended to), or is
there another behaviour at foot here?

Coming to issue 2:
Your config looks a bit awkward:

Agreed!

Usually, Apache in front, you must not configure Tomcat to run SSL.
this is done by Apache. Apache connects to Tomcat via mod_jk. We have
this config and do not experience any performance-issue (however,
we're running on a "real OS" like Linux ;)

*chuckles*...fair enough ;).  Yes, that was my understanding of how SSL
should be set up, with Tomcat only using SSL if it existed across an
untrusted network from the Apache front end.  I definitely want to make
sure that Tomcat is not using SSL, which would likely have been trivial
if starting from scratch.  Coming to an already running server, though, I
was curious about what I should look for as far as different ways that
Tomcat could bring SSL into the picture, so that I can eliminate them :)
For example, would a <connector> with a redirectPort=443 do this?
Can it only be set up to use SSL through services/connectors in
server.xml?  (i.e. Are there only specific places that I should look, or
could it come in a variety of forms, from anywhere in the root and servlet
configuration information?)

Hope that gives you a start
Very much so...and thanks again!