I need to provide a context.xml in the war because there are default datasources configured for my app., but it must be possible to add datasources after app. deployment. Like you, I think there is a conflict between context.xml in war and in unpacked directory (because wtihout war all works as expected) but I don't know if it is tomcat bug or if it is problem in my configuration, maybe there is context param allowing to force to tomcat to use context.xml in war or context.xml in directory.

David Delbecq a écrit :
If you want to edit the context.xml yourself, remove it from the .war
file. I suppose there is a conflict between the context.xml you deploy
yourself and the one inside the .war. I think when you deploy an
unpacked directory the META-INF/context.xml file is ignored. (Not 100% sure)

En l'instant précis du 01/08/07 13:05, Arnaud MERGEY s'exprimait dans
toute sa noblesse:
Thanks for reply, my db is Oracle 9i
The problem isn't a security or driver problem, I have tested also in
the same tomcat, in webapps:
- Cpying the unpacked version only, modify context and web.xml, all
works perfectly.
- Removing in the same tomcat the application, copying the war file
and modify context.xml and web.xml in the unpacked directory, I have the

org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot
create JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'

- Removing the war and copying the unpacked version only, modify
context and web.xml, all works perfectly.

I have tested tomcat 5.5.20 5.5.17 many times and on several tomcat
instance, I have always the same behavior.

In my case using war deployment prevent me to update manually
context.xml to add datasource. I need to use admin webapp or to copy
unpacked directory, not  the war himself.

Arnaud

David Delbecq a écrit :
Get the full stacktrace of exception to know when this happen. If both
install are same, maybe one is on a server that has no access to the db
(check the db security settings).

Also, what did you compare with windiff? The webapp directories or the
full tomcat install directores? Your META-INF/context.xml should have
been copied by tomcat to conf/Catalina/<hostname>/<webappname>.xml Check
those are correct.

En l'instant précis du 01/08/07 12:07, Arnaud MERGEY s'exprimait dans
toute sa noblesse:
Hi
something strange appends with an application
On tomcat 5.5.20 (same behavior with tomcat 5.5.17)

I deploy an application copying an unpacked war directory into webapps
directory. I add a datasource updating the META-INF/context.xml and
WEB-INF/web.xml like tomcat how-to. All works perfectly, no problems.

In another tomcat I copy the war of the same application in the
webapps, the war is unpacked . I add the datasource updating the
META-INF/context.xml and WEB-INF/web.xml and I can't use this
datasource : "org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot
create JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'"

witth windiff I compare the two directory and they are identical, the
only differences is in one the webapps directry has only the unpacked
directory and the other has unpacked and war directory.

I need help to understand, thanks
Arnaud