Hmmm. I just joined this mailing list today, and I'm happy to see that there's lots of action.

But, so far, nobody has responded to my posting. Maybe I'm asking about something so trivial that
everybody thinks somebody else will respond...

Anyway, having said that, I'll try again. Hopefully, somebody will respond with a comment.

I want to convert an application that currently uses JServ (with load balancing) to Tomcat. In reading about Tomcat everything looks good, but there's one aspect of our current approach that I don't see any support for: putting a worker into "shutdown" mode without completely stopping it, and then waiting for all of its current sessions to be concluded.

Load balancing on JServ was based on a memory-mapped file that
stored the current state of different JServ instances, and you could write to this file to change that state. One of the useful states was called "shutdown." In this state, mod_jserv would continue to route page requests for existing sessions to their corresponding Jserv instance, but no new requests would be routed there.

So you could put a Jserv worker into shutdown mode, and then wait for it to become quiescent, after which you could kill the worker and perform maintenance on that system. This was sometimes called a "soft shutdown." We run a 24/7 application and use this approach to rotate through servers while releasing new code.

I found archived mail (from 2002) with a query along these lines that suggested a way of accomplishing this for Tomcat, but don't
know what the ultimate outcome of that suggestion was (if anything).

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-dev/200205.mbox/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]

I kind of expect there must be something in Tomcat like JServ's soft shutdown for people that want to run 24/7 while bringing
workers up and down. Can somebody tell me what the Tomcat solution is?

   Thanks in advance for any comments
   -- Scott.