Hi all,

I was having some more problems with some older Tomcat installations, so I decided to upgrade to the newest release and download it fresh this time instead of using an existing build from awhile back.

I've been trying to set up Tomcat 6.0.9, but I'm afraid I'm having some
problems.

I've been following the installation instructions in RUNNING.txt.
Basically, it tells me to download the binary distribution, unpack it,
make sure JDK1.5 or greater is installed, and run the server. I also need to
set up a CATALINA_BASE,

After downloading the binary distribution, I uncompressed it to $CATALINA_HOME.
Then, I created a new
directory, and set that to be
$CATALINA_BASE. Then, I took the appropriate directories out of $CATALINA_HOME
and put them in $CATALINA_BASE, according to RUNNING.txt. Then, I started
up the server and set it to use $CATALINA_BASE with
"$CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh -Dcatalina.base=$HOME/dtomcat". This
gave me the following output:

Using CATALINA_BASE:   /u/dgresh/dtomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /u/dgresh/apache-tomcat-6.0.9
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /u/dgresh/dtomcat/temp
Using JRE_HOME:       /usr/local/jdk1.5.0_06

and then gave me a command prompt. So I navigated to http://localhost:8080,
and I got a connection failed error. I searched through the
documentation, and found that an issue with ports might be causing the
problem. I edited the $CATALINA_BASE/conf/server.xml file, and changed
the server port from 8005 to 8007, and the connector port from 8080 to
8082. Then, I navigated to http://localhost:8082, and got the
same connection failed error.
Furthermore, I'm running into problems when I go to shutdown Tomcat.
When I run $CATALINA_HOME/bin/shutdown.sh, I get the following output:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina
       at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:215)
       at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:390)

I'm not sure what that means, even after a web search.
There's one more thing that is confusing me. RUNNING.txt says that all I
need to do to install Tomcat is unpack it to a directory, have JDK1.5+
installed, and startup the server. However, the setup instructions at
the Tomcat website have something about running it as a UNIX daemon
(http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/setup.html). I'm not exactly sure if
this is needed, but I tried to follow the instructions, so I downloaded the
commnons-daemon file and placed the necessary files in
$CATALINA_HOME/bin. However, I cannot run "tar xvfz jsvc.tar.gz", as the
-z argument is not being recognized. The directions said GNU TAR was
needed, so I searched the web for that, but I came to a confusing site
that said something about FTPing the GNU TAR files, and I didn't know
where to go from there.

So is there simply something I missed about configuring Tomcat for
proper use on my localhost? Or is this a problem with my Tomcat installation?

If you could offer any advice, I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks,
Dan