How about installing everything from source ??

On 3/21/07, David Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Tomcat is really a whole service environment for running java servlets
and jsp.  Don't think if it in terms of CGIs that just run for the
request and close down.  Tomcat is more akin to Apache's httpd,
listening ports and responding to client requests on the http or https
protocol.  It can be proxied with Httpd if you want using either
straight http reverse proxying or a custom AJP protocol.

Tomcat is fully open source and can run with the Sun JRE as of version
5.5 (maybe 5.0, but I'm not sure without looking it up).

Don't use gcj -- it's not a complete enough java environment.  I've
heard IBM's implementation of  java is pretty good but haven't tried it.

--David