> From: Jeff Sadowski [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: apache-tomcat on an ia64 rhel4?
>
> What is the difference between Java Runtime Environment and having the
> java binary to run?

A myriad of library API implementations provided with a proper JRE but
not supported by gcj.

> I know swing is not implemeted yet but do servlets use guis?

No, but they frequently use things like image codecs that aren't
available with gcj.

> IA64 is an entirely different beast.

You can say that again.  The IA64 pipeline implementors basically threw
up their hands at doing the hard work of optimization and pushed it off
onto the compiler (and JIT) developers - which is one of the things I
get paid for.  It's a nightmare to generate code for that architecture.

> What do you have against gcj? If it is missing something help
> implement it.

It's missing quite a bit - try running the JCK against it.  I see
absolutely no reason to reinvent an already well-rounded wheel.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.