I actually do have the JDK installed, my bad for not stating that
clearly... I was just stating the JRE version that would be used by
Tomcat, since the JRE of course comes with the JDK, but I wasn't clear...
you do raise an intersting point though, I wonder if I have to specify
JRE_HOME anyway?  I can tell you that when I start Tomcat, it reports the
JRE directory as c:\java15, exactly as I expect, so I kind of doubt that's
it.

FYI, I am in fact using the directory structure Tomcat had by default,
which is CATALINA_HOME/lib, and servlet-api.jar is in there... I just
tried creating CATALINA_HOME/common/lib because all the documentation I
found online talks about that directory, and while I figured it was just
documentation not having been updated for the latest version, I figured it
was worth a try.

Bottom line: I have it set up as you say, except for the JRE_HOME env var,
which I tend to doubt will do it (will try when I get home tonight
anyway), but I'm still stuck with the same problem.

As another fact mixed in: I tried a simple test: I dropped to a command
prompt and just tried to compile a simple filter on its own... it failed
because none of the servlet API classes were in the classpath.  This is
good because it proves I don't have a servlet.jar floating around in the
system classpath (I was still hoping the FAQ entry about a stray
servlet-api.jar floating around might be right, but that would seem to
indicate pretty strongly it isn't).

Frank

--
Frank W. Zammetti