On a linux system, netstat should help you figure out which ports are in use already. I use this on my Mandriva linux systems:

netstat -tlnp

On Windows systems, tcpview should help figure out what ports are occupied. It was hosted on the SysInternals website, but Microsoft acquired it, so now it's on the Microsoft site:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Networking/TcpView.mspx

--David

mallika guliani wrote:

I configured Tomcat/5.0.28 in MyEclipse 5.1 but unable to run the server to test some examples. I changed default 8080 port in server.xml, which was also giving same error. These are the lines that I changed: <Server port="8015" shutdown="SHUTDOWN" debug="0">
 <Connector port="8090"               maxThreads="150" ...>
But it keeps giving the same error: org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol init
 SEVERE: Error initializing endpoint
 java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind:8090
SEVERE: Error starting endpoint
 java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind:8090
StandardServer.await: create[8015]: java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind All the forums say change port in Server.xml which hasn't resolved the problem. Please advice. Thank You.