Please refer to the directory structure in the original message or
At the bottom of this email.

Given that directory structure, I have working configuration with
appBase="webapps" in
 server.xml (seems like a dummy value since we don't have anything in
that directory).
In ${catalina.home}/conf/catalina/localhost/ROOT.xml I have defined the
<Context> element with
docBase="${catalina.home}/htdocs".

Here are the questions:
Previously,  I had appBase="htdocs" and ROOT.xml was called htdocs.xml.
1) When absolute path such as ${catalina.home}/htdocs is specified why
does it look for
${catalina.home}/htdocs/htdocs/
2) Why does it expect a ROOT directory under htdocs?
3) What is special about ROOT? Should not the configuration be totally
under application
Developer's control?
4) What is path?

It is not very clear from the documenatation. It took me a while to get
to the current working
Configuration.

I will appreciate it if one of you can clarify these concepts.

Thanks in advance,
Lakshmi