> I'd say if there are differences, it's in the javascript of
> the client.

Yeah, the problem is that the guts of the client JS are pretty opaque.

> Have you used any sort of monitoring tool to find out if
> XMLHttpRequest
> is sending the session cookie?

No, but I was going to modify the code to print out all the cookies.
That's what I did in the filter to determine that it was holding two
JSESSIONID's.  I'll do that and post again.

> Have you tried encoding the
> JSESSIONID
> in the XMLHttpRequest via javascript?

You mean as query parameters in the URL?  What I was
actually going to do is send the database key of the
objects I needed as a query parameter, which I can
send as a POST and not have it show up in the URL,
but that means I have to arrange for Javascript to get
the keys, which means I have to pass them around as query
parameters in the URLs, which I really don't want to do.
Actually, I guess I could store them as cookies.  I really
like only having that information on the server, though.

I was also going to print out as much of the HTTP request as I could
find APIs
for and see what that looked like.

Thanks!  Any further ideas will be looked upon with unlimited favor;-)