Thanks for the hint.  I had come to the conclusion I was going to have
to do something like that.  It is not a JS framework- it's Javascript &
Java in a Tomcat container, all built in-house.

Again, I looked at the XMLHttpRequest with Firebug, but saw no reference
to the cookies.

Once you get the session ID (using your method below) into your servlet,
how do you tell the servlet to use it?  The only API I found for that is
deprecated with no replacement.