Von: Rainer Jung [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gesendet: Montag, 21. Mai 2007 16:59
An: Tomcat Users List
Betreff: Re: AW: AW: logging log4j of my application

Your config looks OK to me.

Sometimes such a thing happens, if one starts the process unintended as
root, who then owns the log file and after starting again as non-root,
the process user can not write to the file...

You can add "-Dlog4j.debug" to the startup options of your Tomcat. Then
catalina.out will contain information about log4j parsing its config, like

log4j: Using URL [file:.../conf/log4j.properties] for automatic log4j
configuration.
log4j: Reading configuration from URL file:.../conf/log4j.properties
log4j: Parsing for [root] with value=[DEBUG,FILE].
log4j: End of parsing for "FILE".
log4j: Setting property [file] to [/home/jung/.../logs/RPSSERVER.log].
log4j: setFile called: /home/jung/.../logs/RPSSERVER.log, true

Maybe you will detect something strange in this output.

Regards,

Rainer

Marc Rameder wrote:
> The output of the log file should be information about hibernate, spring
and
> my development in the net.thefource package.
> I have used this log4j.properties for a GUI application where it is
working
> fine and also by testing the server with JUnit all debug information are
> displayed.
> I am starting the tomcat with the startup.bat. Hence it is not a service.
>
> A example for the GUI application would be:
> 14:07:25,500 () [INFO ] CollectionFactory (<clinit>) - JDK 1.4+
collections
> available
>
> marc
>
> log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG,FILE
> #ConsoleAppender
> log4j.appender.CONSOLE=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
> log4j.appender.CONSOLE.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
> log4j.appender.CONSOLE.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{HH:mm:ss,SSS} (%x)
[%-5p]
> %c{1} (%M) - %m%n
> #FileAppender
> log4j.appender.FILE=org.apache.log4j.FileAppender
> log4j.appender.FILE.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
> log4j.appender.FILE.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{HH:mm:ss,SSS} (%x) [%-5p]
> %c{1} (%M) - %m%n
> log4j.appender.FILE.File=${catalina.home}/logs/RPSSERVER.log
> log4j.appender.FILE.File.MaxFileSize=1MB
> # Keep one backup file
> log4j.appender.FileApp.MaxBackupIndex=1
> log4j.appender.FileApp.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
> log4j.appender.FileApp.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{HH:mm:ss,SSS} (%x)
[%-5p]
> %c{1} (%M) - %m%n
>
> log4j.logger.org.apache.catalina=WARN, CONSOLE
> log4j.logger.org.apache.catalina.core=WARN, CONSOLE
> log4j.logger.org.apache.catalina.session=WARN, CONSOLE
>
> log4j.logger.net.thefource=DEBUG ,CONSOLE
>
> log4j.logger.org.apache.commons=WARN, CONSOLE
> log4j.logger.org.hibernate=INFO, CONSOLE
> log4j.logger.org.hibernate.type=INFO, CONSOLE
> log4j.logger.org.springframework=INFO, CONSOLE

autoconfiguration.

> In both cases we assume it really picks up the
> WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties.
>
> So if a file gets created but nothing gets logged into it, we should
> have a look at the contents of the log4j.properties file. You should
> post it.
>
> Also: which messages would you expect there?
>
> Regards,
>
> Rainer
>

> Marc Rameder wrote:
>> I deploy a war file with the following content.
>> WEB-INF:
>>      classes:
>>         contains the log4j.properties file in the root directory. Only
>> one     exists.
>>      lib:
>>         contains the log4j-1.2.9.jar not in any other directory
>>
>> my web.xml contains
>>
>> <context-param>
>>     <param-name>log4jConfigLocation</param-name>
>>     <param-value>classpath:log4j.properties</param-value>
>>   </context-param>
>>
>> I hope that's the information you ask for!
>> thanks
>> marc

>>> marc