On Tuesday 29 May 2007 01:14, Teh Noranis Mohd Aris wrote:
> Thank you so much for the reply. I've put "jdbc:mysql://localhost:8080/teh
> but I got the error java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> com.mysql.jdbc.Driver. I'm very new to using mysql database and servlet.
> Can you please explain to me how to create the database name and its
> fields? Should I install any driver? How can it be done? Please help. Thank
> you.
>
>   Yours Sincerely,
>   TEH
>
> Foo Shyn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   Hi,
>
> yyyy would be ur database port, xxx will be ur database name
>
> HTH
> FooShyn
>
> Teh Noranis Mohd Aris wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to access mysql database from a servlet but I'm not sure
> > what to initialize for the String connectionURL marked as
> > "jdbc:mysql://localhost:yyyy/xxx" in the program below. I got this
> > program from the internet which I would like to run in my computer. Can
> > anyone please explain to me what the parameters "yyyy" and "xxx" should
> > be?
> >
> > Yours Sincerely,
> > TEH
> >
> > Following is part of the program:
> > public void doPost(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse
> > response) throws ServletException, IOException{
> > response.setContentType("text/html");
> > PrintWriter pw = response.getWriter();
> > String connectionURL = "jdbc:mysql://localhost:yyyy/xxx";
> > Connection connection=null;
> > try{
> > String username = request.getParameter("username");
> > String password = request.getParameter("password");
> > pw.println(username);
> > pw.println(password);
> > Class.forName("com.mysql.jdbc.Driver").newInstance();
> > connection = DriverManager.getConnection(connectionURL, "root", "root");
> > PreparedStatement pst = connection.prepareStatement
> > ("insert into login_table values(?,?)");

> > 3:05 PM

> Shape Yahoo! in your own image.  Join our Network Research Panel today!

There are many great tutorials on the web on how to do this, here is a url
with the basic servlet code:

http://www.cs.unc.edu/Courses/comp118/docs/lessons/java/java_jdbc/jdbcServletMysql.html

That page however doesn't tell you that you need to place the mysql
driver(which should be a jar file) in your web application's WEB-INF/lib
folder.

Good Luck,

Zack