SSL as a protocol is not designed to allow for this sort of man-in-the-middle configuration. Either tomcat handles the ssl and listens on port 443 or Apache httpd handles the ssl and listens on 443.

--David

Pierre Goupil wrote:

Quote from the Tomcat doc :

***
It is important to note that configuring Tomcat to take advantage of secure
sockets is usually only necessary when running it as a stand-alone web
server. When running Tomcat primarily as a Servlet/JSP container behind
another web server, such as Apache or Microsoft IIS, it is usually necessary
to configure the primary web server to handle the SSL connections from
users. Typically, this server will negotiate all SSL-related functionality,
then pass on any requests destined for the Tomcat container only after
decrypting those requests.
***

I'm using Tomcat 5.5, Apache 2.0.55 & mod_jk 1.2.18. I'd really like to
manage my SSL from within Tomcat, mainly because I feel more comfortable
with it than with Apache. But I still need Apache in front of it, in order
to be able to use the port 80 & this sort of things.

Does this mean that I can, but that I will then have to configure my Apache
/ jk a bit more than with straight-forward http connections ? How to do this
?

Cheers,

Pierre