if you want a global log4j (instead of tomcat's own framework)
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/logging.html
then you will need to be tomcat-juli.jar and tomcat-juli-adapters.jar
as described in the docs,

let me know if you need more clarification
Filip

Ashley Hollands wrote:
Hi

I have recently upgraded from Tomcat 5.5 to 6.0 and from Java 1.5
to 6.

I use Log4J for all my web application logging and have discovered
that after the upgrade, any exceptions thrown in the web application
are not logged to my web application log, but to the top-level Tomcat
log.

Does anybody know how I can make sure any java.lang.Exceptions
thrown are logged to the web application log? It used to work fine with
the previous versions of Tomcat (4, 5 and 5.5).

My web application log4j.properties file is as follows if that helps:

log4j.rootCategory=ERROR, logfile

log4j.appender.logfile=org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.logfile.DatePattern='.'yyyy-MM-dd
log4j.appender.logfile.File=/logs/tomcat/webapp.log
log4j.appender.logfile.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.logfile.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %p [%c] - %m%n

Thanks

Ashley