On 8/22/07, Christopher Schultz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 1. Checks to see if the Session exists and has a Principal.
> 2. Checks to see if the Session contains my "User" object.
>    If not, it loads the User object and performs the "real" login
>    (as opposed to the basic authentication provided by the container).
> 3. Checks to see what the user's "status" is.
>    If the user is in the "must change password" state, I send them
>    to the "change password" screen.

Using the default tomcat realms I see 2 possibilities:

1. use the JDBCRealm and create a SQL view for user_roles. If the user
has an expired password, then a role called "expiredPassword" should
exist as a row in this view.

2. use the JAASRealm, if the password is expired add the role "expiredPassword".

Both of these would require a Filter that checks for the existence of
the role "expiredPassword" and redirect as needed.

I just find it hard to believe that there is no open-source
project/library to mange users that includes the above functionality.

-Steve