> From: Peter Crowther
> Looks like that slight increase in load has tipped you over
> from being just-about-alright to just-about-failing.  If you
> can't increase heap space, can't decrease load and can't
> alter the application, your only remaining choice is to add
> capacity: install another server and load-balance across N+1
> servers rather than N servers.  Also remember that if you
> have plenty of spare RAM on the machines hosting Tomcat, and
> it's just maximum heap size that's the issue, then you might
> be able to run two Tomcat processes (on different ports) on
> the same server, avoiding the need to deploy new hardware.

Bad Netiquette to follow up my own answer, but I missed a point.

Often, the amount of heap space required is related to the number of concurrent
requests being processed.  If this is the case for you, and you're using
back-end services like relational databases, web services and the like, then
you might be able to salvage the situation by speeding up one or more of those
back-end services so that requests complete faster and hence there are fewer
concurrent requests waiting on the Tomcat webapps.  It's another option to
consider if you have some control over these services but none over the Tomcat
app.

                - Peter