Hi,

I have a series of relatively high transaction volume tomcat servers
which are sporadically hitting thread issues.  We run with with tomcat
4.1.27 at the current time.  The behaviour we notice is after several
days of around one hundred thousand transactions our tomcat instances
hang with the catalina.out message of:

SEVERE: All threads are busy, waiting. Please increase maxThreads or
check the servlet status75 75
Stopping service Tomcat-Standalone

I've done a quite a lot of reading on this and in some cases there is an
indication that moving to a later tomcat version alleviates the issue.
However in many others it indicates that this problem is due solely to
the code whereby the threads are not exiting cleanly.  We have a classic
3-tier architecture and we can see the db connections closing.  I have
tired reproducing this error on a tomcat 5 environment and I get a
similar but not identical error:

org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool logFull
SEVERE: All threads (15) are currently busy, waiting. Increase
maxThreads (15) or check the servlet status

The tomcat install continues to function correctly after this has
occurred.   What I would like to know is do the 2 error messages
correspond to the same underlying issue.  I strongly suspect it is an
application code issue so I would like to be able to count Tomcat out of
the loop.

Thanks,

Paul