Hi Chris,

  I moved the <user-data-constraint> inside the <web-resource-collection> as
the following:

       <security-constraint>
                <web-resource-collection>
                        <web-resource-name>Automatic SLL
Forwarding</web-resource-name>
                        <url-pattern>/login.html</url-pattern>
                        <user-data-constraint>

                        </user-data-constraint>
                </web-resource-collection>
        </security-constraint>

  But http://www.mydomain.com/login.html  did not redirect to secure URL.

  As you mentioned, If I start as http, then redirect to https when login,  and
keep https after login. Does that mean https is using the http session? Is
there any security hole? If a man-in-the-middle knows the session id from http
and the same session id is used by https?

  Thanks for help.
  Dave