Then you should modify the startup script to handle renaming or deleting the old file before starting tomcat. Catalina.out itself is just the redirected standard output from tomcat and tomcat has no control over what the OS does with what it spews out. As a better alternative, configure your favorite logging framework to provide rolling log files. There are lots of messages in the archives regarding log4j and dealing with the classloader system in tomcat if you want to go that direction.

--David

persistence k wrote:
Yes, Mr.David. I want each time tomcat's redirects its standard output to
catalina.out file,
this file should reflect that change and during tomcat start up all the
content in the file should be deleted, instead of appending it to previous
messages.

Right now I'm closing and reopening the file to notice the changes in it.
Instead I would like to see the file reloaded each time tomcat redirects its
standard output to
that file, just as it happens in windows.

Please suggest me a solution for this.

Thanks
Persistence.