I am guessing...  Somewhere in the script there should be a ">> catalina.out"
to append to catalina.out.  Change that to "> catalina.out" so that the old
file is automatically rewritten.  Or else you may use rotatelogs program
that comes with apache http server.  See
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/programs/rotatelogs.html

++Vamsi