Uzma Khawaja wrote:
Hi,
1. If someone wants to work on a feature or bug, is he/she required to get
permission before working? Is he/she REQUIRED to join the community?
No permission required. By very virtue of downloading the software and working on the bug they have joined the community. It would help if they joined the dev and users list but isn't essential.

2. What tools do you use to manage the project (to
track the progress
text files in svn, bugzilla

assigning tasks
Tasks aren't assigned. People work on what they want to

manage the features and bugs
text files in svn (features), bugzilla (a few features, mainly bugs)

maintaining patches etc
Not sure what you mean by this. We don't maintain patches - we do a new release. We use Apache Ant to build.

HTH,

Mark