Thank you, David.

Sorry, I sent this message two times, each time only the quoted message was
sent, but not my reply.  This is another try.

Actually I did read the document you provided the link to.  In that document
(The Realm Component) the following attributes are listed for the
DataSourceRealm:

   dataSourceName
   roleNameCol
   userCredCol
   userNameCol
   userRoleTable
   userTable

and I actually used all of them in my first attempted configuration as shown
in my original email:

   First attempt:
   ++++++++++
   I replaced the above-mentioned <Realm> element with the following one,
mimicking the example for mySQL in the documentation:

      <Realm  className="org.apache.catalina.realm.DataSourceRealm"
         dataSourceName="jdbc/webappDB"
              userTable="users" userNameCol="user_name"
userCredCol="user_pass"
          userRoleTable="user_roles" roleNameCol="role_name" />

And that did not work out, you know, as I mentioned.  I still do not know
what was wrong with my configuration for DataSourceRealm.  I still wonder
how Tomcat would know where to go to look for the users table and the
user_roles table, which are on the Oracle server which is sb.lehman.cuny.edu,
and is not in any of the attributes listed above.  Did I miss any components
in the configuration that I tried?

Jason