Thank you, David.  Now it works!

I looked back into the documentation for DataSource, and then configured one
in the server.xml file as a JNDI <Resource>.  It seems to me that the
<Realm> gets associated with the <Resource> by jdbc/webappDB, and that tells
tomcat server where to find the Oracle server.

Nevertheless, I still still have a few questions:

What is the the <realm-name> sub-element of <login-config> for in the
application's web.xml file, when and how is it used?  Suppose I configure
more than one <Realm> in server.xml, is that the scenario where I need to
use the <real-name> tag to specify which Realm to use?  In that case,
<realm-name>what is the name</realm-name>  for the realm?

Thanks a lot for your guide!

Jason