Hi Matt,

Today I was trying to port one legacy application from JRun to Tomcat &
facing same problem with URL.
URL.setURLStreamHandlerFactory.java.lang.Error: factory already defined
1. I tried out setting  -Djava.protocol.handler.pkgs=<my.package> pointing
to where my CustomURLStreamHander is present in catalina.sh
2. Added the required jar common/lib & other mentioned places

As you have said both didn't help as "java.protocol.handler.pkgs" setting is
not working.

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/catalina/docs/api/org/apache/naming/resources/jndi/Handler.html
I also did not find anything about this is Tomcat configuration files.

Do let me know if you find some solution to the same.

Thanks,
Praveen M.