From: Stephen Caine [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
I have a process that generates hundreds of threads.  Running on Mac
OS X 10.5.2 Server, the thread count tops out at approximately 2500.
After which, the process is terminated.  The heap size is set to 1
gigabyte.  My question is how to increase the capacity of the JVM to
handle more threads.  Is the value of 2500 an absolute limit, or can
it be modified by setting the thread allocation, increasing heap size
or the use of another java option?

What error message are you seeing in catalina.out?

You are probably running out of memory. Each thread needs a certain amount of heap and stack.
You may also want to look at the limits you set in the shell

Defaults from mac os x 10.5.2

$ ulimit -a
core file size          (blocks, -c) 0
data seg size           (kbytes, -d) 6144
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) unlimited
open files                      (-n) 256
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 1
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 8192
max user processes              (-u) 266
$