To: <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 1:21 AM
Subject: Shared Javascript, CSS, and Image Files

Hi,

I am looking for the recommended solution for when multiple webapps need to use the same sets or javascript, css, and image files. I have created a symbolic link in $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/myapp called "shared" pointing to /home/myhome/shared_files. When I refer to /shared/test.js in my jsp, it does not recognize it. Is there something I need to do to tell Tomcat to follow symbolic links or even better is there a recommended location under $CATALINA_HOME for me to add my collection of shared files that will be seen by all webapps?
----
John why are you doing that... maybe I'm missing something, but its not assembled "as it goes out", the browser comes back for it. An easier way is to make a shared webapp, put all the stuff in there and then just address that web app. Or think of say all the images CSS, js files sitting on an Apache server... you would just address them there.

JSP goes from any web app to browser... browser "comes back" and gets those files from (Apache/or a "single web app). You just not going to use a relative url... will either hard code or bring in the "image context" from a parameter in web.xml etc.

Have fun...

I am using Tomcat 5.5.23.

Thanks so much for your help.