Well, Johnny, we seem to agree..

Johnny Kewl wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "sridharmnj" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2008 4:33 PM
Subject: Re: Single sign on issue with Tomcat and Apache

Many thanks to all of you for responding to my problem.
I apologize, I hope I didnot mention my system architecture clearly. (As I mentioned, it is an old application, which was developed 9 yrs ago, and no
documentation at all :-(  )

I am accessing those applications like..

www.mywebsite.com/aaa -> (aaa webapp) Its based on Tomcat FORM based
authentication. (JDBC Realm)
www.mywebsite.com/bbb -> Here some static pages are deployed into Apache and
based on BASIC authentication.(mod_auth_mysql)
www.mywebsite.com/ccc -> (ccc webapp) Here dynamic pages are deployed on
Tomcat based on BASIC authentication.(JDBC Realm)

All the above applications are using same usertable for credentials.

Scenario 1: When I logs into the bbb, (Apache-BASIC) it is poping up a
dialog box with username and password and after providing the details it is authenticating using mod_auth_mysql. I have a link to the ccc (Tomcat-BASIC) from bbb pages. When I clicked that link, I am able to navigate those pages
without providing the credentials again. (I hope, here tomcat is finding
auth headers which are set by Apache)

Scenario 2: When I directly logs into ccc (Tomcat-BASIC) it is poping up a dialog box with username and password and after providing the details, it is authenticating using Tomcat BASIC authentication. If I click a link to bbb, I am able to navigate to it without providing the details 2nd time. (I hope,
here Apache is finding the credentials which are set by Tomcat).

Scenario 3: When I logs into aaa, (TOMCAT-FORM) after authentication, I am able to access ccc (TOMCAT-BASIC) without providing the credentials again.
(I hope, here Tomcat is sharing the credentials between FORM and BASIC
authentication credentials, as SingleSignOnValve is enabled).

These Scenarios 1,2,3 are working perfectly, and I need those as is.

Scenario 4: When I logs into aaa, (Tomcat-Form) after authentication, If I click a link to bbb (Apache-BASIC) again its poping up a window for username
and password.

sridharmnj
Ok this is very different to what we first thought.
This is a guess...

I think the problem is that you mixing auth methods...
You have to make them all BASIC in this case.
The browser is on the same domain... so I think it will be returning the auth header info, can check with a dump valve or get wireshark and just make sure it is returning header info... but I think it is, the problem is that the auth info is not the same.

I've never used FORM authentication, but I guess it just reads the UID and Password fields and then TC starts tracking that cookie as authenticated. BASIC does not do that... there the browser returns a Base64 encoded mash and that is interpreted.

So if you go to say ccc (BASIC) and then bbb (BASIC)..... you havnt said... but I think that will work. But when you go to FORM.... all the browser sends Apache is a little old cookie... and the BASIC logic will go "what the hell"... and challenges the browser.

So the initial thought that it was a domain problem is not correct... you just mixing incompatible auth schemes. I think you have to lose the FORM auth... and even though you cant change the web app, I think that is is possible externally... all thats going to happen is that the browser pops up a password box... and that auth FORM is now going to be redundant.

I think the FORM auth has to go, must be made BASIC... my guess.

The only real POJO Application Server.