thanks Chris - the reason we are tied to j2sdk 1.4.2_12 is because it is
recommended by the the packaged webapp - we are customiznig it and we have
experienced major minor version issues when we try to deploy our customized
code with the packaged webapp.

in short

package s/w is done using j2sdk1.4.2_12
our custom layer ontop of it has to stick to that

thank