Group,

I'm a Unix admin working on a Solaris 8 server running Tomcat 6.0.16. No
other apps run on the server, for example, there is no Apache httpd running.
I have been tasked with disabling directory indexing based on a security
scan that provided this infomation:

Vulnerability Identified: Directory Indexing on Web Server

Severity: Low

directory contents to be displayed, including any documents that were not
intended to be hyperlinked from other pages.

 Impact: Attackers could discover potentially sensitive documents that were
not intended to be found. These documents may assist attackers in crafting
future attacks against the web server or any applications hosted on it.

Recommendation: Verizon Business recommends disabling directory indexing by
modifying the web servers configuration. For the IBM HTTP server and Apache,
directory indexing can be disabled by removing the following line for the
directory configuration: Options Indexes In Microsoft IIS, directory
indexing can be disabled by deselecting the Directory Browsing option for
the affected directory.

Does this request make sense? I ask because I can't find any information on
directory indexing for Tomcat, although disabling it in Apache is easy
enough.

Thanks for any guidance!

David      unixhound at gmail.com