Dave Girardin wrote:
Does this request make sense? I ask because I can't find any information on
directory indexing for Tomcat, although disabling it in Apache is easy
enough.

The request makes sense if directory listings are enabled, but they are disabled by default.

You need to look for the default servlet configuration (should be in conf/web.xml but I would check every web.xml to be sure). There should be something like:
    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>default</servlet-name>

<servlet-class>org.apache.catalina.servlets.DefaultServlet</servlet-class>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>debug</param-name>
            <param-value>0</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>listings</param-name>
            <param-value>false</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
    </servlet>

The listings = false bit is what diables diretory listings.

Mark