SNIP

No it would grab the logger for the context, which will automatically be the one for [/mywebapp] and not [/manager]. It can't log to the logger of another context. Look at javax.servlet.ServletContext.log().

OOooooh - OK - The gears are starting to turn...maybe.  The context logger configuration
configures the ServletContext logger.  I just erased that from my "To
understand" list, since it seems I could just use a pre configured logger per
Servlet, but it's good to know.

make logging calls on it, which assuming the default configuration would end up in the manager prefixed log?

So now you should be able to write an improved version of the logging documentation page ;)

Well after having spent a few days reading java logging stuff, commons logging,
LogManager stuff, and the Logging for Dummies thread, I'd say that the Tomcat Logging
Official documentation hits the nail right on the head.  It's about as brief and concise
as can be (I'm still going to put in a ticket for a spelling mistake and the context
stuff at the end), and gives all the necessary little hooks that someone can branch off
on to figure out what's going on.  I think the primary cause of panic for Squirl brained
individuals, like myself, is that once the branching begins there's a massive (Keep in
mind - squirrel brain) amount of information that has to be analyzed and
"Felt/Experienced".  For instance I spent time playing with java logging to get
a reasonable grip after reading through some tutorials and the overview.

So what I'll do is go through the Logging for Dummies thread again and this
thread and come with with additions to the logging FAQ on the wiki.  I'll do my
best to put in an answer + example, but I might need help still.

Thanks again.  Hope to have a list compiled asap!
Ole