Hi,

Redhat ES 5
jdk1.6.0_07
tomcat 6.0.16
tomcat-connectors-1.2.26-src (built on the machine)
tomcat-native-1.1.14-src (built on the machine)

After getting the connector working for httpd without SSL I am trying to
get it working with SSL. A strange warning occurs followed by the severe
error. Other than SSL, I changed the Connector/@protocol to
the Http11AprProtocol. Other than that and using SSL thru httpd
eveything is the same.

The problem: even though I specifiy
'docBase="/home/app/wwwapps/ROOT/members"' the context startup sees it
as '/home/app/wwwapps/members' -- ROOT get lost somehow (see
catalina.out snippet below)

I noticed the faq at the bottom here (which comes close to my problem):
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/ssl-howto.html
"When Tomcat starts up, I get an exception like
"java.io.FileNotFoundException: {some-directory}/{some-file} not
found".
        A likely explanation is that Tomcat cannot find the keystore
        file where it is looking. By default, Tomcat expects the
        keystore file to be named .keystore in the user home directory
        under which Tomcat is running (which may or may not be the same
        as yours :-). If the keystore file is anywhere else, you will
        need to add a keystoreFile attribute to the <Factory> element in
        the Tomcat configuration file."

My .keystore is in the user home of the user that starts tomcat. Even
so, I placed the keystoreFile attribute on the SSL connector (below) in
the server.xml (is that the Factory??)

I also used a different password, but I added the keystorePass
attribute to the SSL connector (below) in the server.xml

Also, I first created the keystore (in the user home dir) with:
$JAVA_HOME/bin/keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA

Then I used openssl to successfully generate a pkcs12 file from the my
verisign cert and key. First, I chained the verisign intermediate cert
with the root cert to use as the -CAfile.

Below is a relevant part from catalina.out followed by the parts of the
server.xml and finall the context associated with the error message

WARNING: A docBase /home/app/wwwapps/ROOT/members inside the host
appBase has been specified, and will be ignored
Jul 17, 2008 10:13:19 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext
resourcesStart
SEVERE: Error starting static Resources
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Document
base /home/app/wwwapps/members does not exist or is not a readable
directory
        at
org.apache.naming.resources.FileDirContext.setDocBase(FileDirContext.java:141)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.resourcesStart(StandardContext.java:3957)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4126)

Here is the SSL Connector from server.xml:
<Connector port="8443"
protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol"
       SSLEnabled="true"
       clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS"
SSLCertificateFile="/home/app/tomcat/conf/ssl.crt/my.crt"
SSLCertificateKeyFile="/home/app/tomcat/conf/ssl.key/my.key"
           />

Here is the Host from server.xml
<Host name="www.domain.org"  appBase="/home/app/wwwapps"
            unpackWARs="false" autoDeploy="false"