Hello Chuck,
thank you very much for your help!
I've stopped tomcat, cleaned the directories conf/Catalina/ and work/Catalina
and started tomcat again, but i still get only the welcome page from the
default host displayed.

This is whats inside server.xml:

content.xml, which is located at META-INF direcoty inside the war file
(myapp.war), follows.
After deployment theres a copy of the file in
catalinahome/conf/Catalina/appname.com/myapp.xml and
catalinahome/conf/Catalina/appname.de/myapp.xml.

By the way, i deploy by stopping tomcat, copying the war file into the appBase
directory and starting tomcat again - does this make any difference than
deploying with tomcats manager application?

Thanks again for you help!