From: David Smith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 1:47 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Reading environment variable from Tomcat

Looks like correct behavior to me. You can see that tomcat runs in the System account when you look at it via Process Explorer or Task Manager. It has it's own environment separate from any desktop user and

can run without any desktop user. This is also why tomcat can't access mapped network drives when it runs as a service.

The real question is why do you want to know who the current desktop user(s) is/are? Tomcat should only be interested in the users coming in

via http(s) connections.

--David

Sureka, Sushil wrote:
Hi,

I have run into an issue related to starting tomcat as a service. When
we were starting tomcat from the command line, we were able to just
say
System.getProperty("user.name" ) to retrieve the logged in user id.
But
now that we start tomcat using a service, the get property call
returns
"SYSTEM".
After doing some more research, it seems like I have two options to
find
out the login id.

1.       Start the service using logged on option.

2.       Use System.getEnv()

It seems like the first option may not work for us as our passwords
expires periodically, and setting the logon/password account means
that
we would have to have manual intervention. Additionally, when I tried
use my user id as logon id, it won't let me do that ( I imagine I need
to have system admin turn the privilege on for or something on those
lines)

The second option did not work either. Calling the
System.getEnv("USERNAME") in a program started from the command line
returns the logged in user name, but it returns null when tomcat was
started using service approach.
I am not sure  if there is a way to find out who is logged in into the
system when Tomcat has been started using service mechanism. Any help
in
this matter would be great help

SS