Hmm... I tried this, and it looks as though Tomcat still pre-pends the
"/home/myuser/public_html/" to my XML file. My servlet throws the error:

java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/home/myuser/public_html/path/to/tomcat/conf/myservlet/myxmlfile.xml

and my file is really located at:

/path/to/tomcat/conf/myservlet/myxmlfile.xml

I have multiple sites that need to have access to this same servlet with
the same XML file passed to it, and it would be great if I didn't have
to copy this file to each site for each HOST entry... IE:

<Host name="mydomain1.net" appBase="webapps">
       <Context path="" docBase="/home/myuser1/public_html/" />
</Host>

<Host name="mydomain2.net" appBase="webapps">
       <Context path="" docBase="/home/myuser2/public_html/" />
</Host>

<Host name="mydomain3.net" appBase="webapps">
       <Context path="" docBase="/home/myuser3/public_html/" />
</Host>

The way Tomcat is working now, I would have to copy that XML file that I
need to pass to the servlet to each user's "public_html" directory in
order for the servlet to use it (which would also make the file
web-accessible - not at all what I want).

Is there a way to tell Tomcat to not use the docbase when passing this
file to the servlet?

Thanks to all of you who responded both on-list and off. =) I really
appreciate your help!

Warm regards,
Jordan Michaels
Vivio Technologies